Quotations from caregivers at Around the Dinner Table Forum

Quotations from caregivers at Around the Dinner Table Forum

May 16

Written by: F.E.A.S.T.
Wednesday, May 16, 2012  RssIcon

It felt like we were stepping off a cliff when our FBT appointments came to an end.  Our adult d had only been WR for about 6 weeks and I felt very alone & scared. The thing that was most worrisome for us, was that she would not listen to our guidance without a professional who was overseeing our caregiving.

Thankfully Dr. C had helped us put some safeguards in place.  First our d was told that weekly weighing would be necessary for a full year and that we were going to be continuing random screening for specific gravity [our d had a history of water loading].  Dr. C had helped guide the transition from magic plate to our d having control of her menu.  However she emphasized that if our d's weight began to slide, we would need to relieve her of the responsibility to maintain her intake on her own.  After that we only had one hiccup, a 4 lb. weight loss that our d was able to turn around within a couple of weeks.

I think it can help to have professionals "charge" parents with caregiving authority in the presence of the patient.  It reinforces that the parents have the necessary competence to provide the support their child will need as their brain recovery builds.

- lydia from the thread When this stops what do we do?

Tags:
Categories:

Admin Notice

Minimize
 PLEASE NOTE: Our site menus do not display correctly in Internet Explorer. Please try a different browser such as Firefox or Chrome if you are having trouble navigating around the site. We are working to eliminate this problem.
From the Nourishing Words Blog

From the Nourishing Words Blog

Minimize
Nourishing Words Archive
The F.E.A.S.T. News Blog is Moving!
"am getting so tired of trying to feed her"
"Am I being too soft?"
Save the Date! January 31 - February 1, 2014!
QUARTERLY NEWSLETTER FOR MEMBERS ONLY:
"I see the number 3000 here a lot"
" Anyway....the dress fear came with ed"
"My son has about 6 - 10 pounds to gain."
"we have spent a FORTUNE on groceries "
"and how aggressive must we be??!!."

F.E.A.S.T. is registered as a nonprofit organization under section 501(c)(3) of the United States Internal Revenue Code.
Information on this site is meant to support, not replace, professional consultation. Unless otherwise noted, content is edited by F.E.A.S.T. volunteers with assistance from our Professional Advisory Panel.

|  Login
Privacy Statement   |  Terms Of Use
Copyright 2012 by F.E.A.S.T

This page was last updated: 9/22/2014 12:00:00 AM