|January – December 2014|
From the Executive Director’s Desk
I am pleased to release F.E.A.S.T.’s Annual Report for 2014. I especially want to thank all of the volunteers who work tirelessly behind the scenes to keep F.E.A.S.T.’s services running. I would also like to thank all those who made a donation to F.E.A.S.T.in 2014.Our first major fundraiser was a huge success, and we are well on our way to meeting our $100,000 goal to keep us operating through the end of 2016. Donations of all sizes are still needed and can be made through our website at any time. This is the first time F.E.A.S.T. has published a comprehensive Annual Report, and while it is a bit late in coming, you can be sure that our 2015 Annual Report will be promptly published early in 2016.
Executive Director, F.E.A.S.T.
|To support caregivers of eating disorder patients and to reduce the suffering of our loved-ones by:|
- providing evidence-based information and mutual support,
- promoting evidence-based treatments,
- advocating for research to advance the field of eating disorders, and
- advocating for improved and widespread training of health professionals in early diagnosis and intervention
Carer Support Program
Around the Dinner Table Forum
F.E.A.S.T. is the first international organization to focus services specifically on those caring for inividuals with eating disorders. We firmly believe that supporting the family supports the patient. Our online, moderated support forum has been active since 2004 and has grown from a handful of parents to over 5,000 members. By providing a safe 24/7 place for families to share experiences and to support each other, F.E.A.S.T. has been able to bring families out of the isolation they face in their communities. F.E.A.S.T.’s forum is now recommended by treatment professionals around the world and the concept of parent mentoring is being implemented into clinics around the world.
The forum is public and can be found at: www.aroundthedinnertable.org
Outreach & Advocacy Program
Charitable Contributions for Scientific Research
Charlotte’s Helix Project – F.E.A.S.T. contributed 500£ and raised $14,000 US, for this anorexia genetics research project in 2014. This DNA research is a partnership between Kings College London and the AN25K initiative out of University of North Carolina’s Centre for Excellence for Eating Disorders. Funding for the UK collections is being financed by donations to Charlotte’s Helix.
- F.E.A.S.T. Carer Conference in Dallas, Texas, January 2014. Two day conference designed for carers of eating disorder patients with the goal of bringing together professionals and families to share expertise, experiences, and communicate as peers.
- “Ask a Caregiver” Livestream Webinar in conjunction with the AED Family Based Treatment SIG. This event was livestreamed to more than 100 eating disorder professionals and caregivers around the world. The recorded video has been viewed over 1200 times.
- “M.O.M. (Mothers and Others) March, in Washington DC, 2014. F.E.A.S.T. Board Member, Becky Henry served on the planning committee with Mothers against Eating Disorders (MAED), the EDC, and the Alliance for Eating Disorder Awareness. F.E.A.S.T. Founder, Laura Collins, was an invited speaker for the event.
Representation at Professional Conferences
- In April 2014, F.E.A.S.T. exhibited at AED’s International Conference on Eating Disorders in New York, NY. F.E.A.S.T. Directors Leah Dean, Lisa LaBorde attended, and F.E.A.S.T. Founder, Laura Collins, presented at two workshops.
- In February 2014, Directors Leah Dean and Lisa LaBorde represented F.E.A.S.T. at the UCSD ED Conference in San Diego, CA.
- In addition, F.E.A.S.T. supplied Family Guide Booklets for distribution at the Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine (SAHM) Conference, and the 2nd Annual Long Island Conference on Eating Disorders at Hofstra University in Hempstead, NY.
- NIMH Alliance for Research Progress: F.E.A.S.T. is an invited participant to these bi-annual meetings led by Thomas Insel, Director of the NIMH.
Educational Resources Program
F.E.A.S.T. Family Guide Booklet Series:
F.E.A.S.T. released two new Family Guide Booklets in 2014:
- “DOWN THE RABBIT HOLE: Coming to Terms with a Loved One’s Eating Disorder Diagnosis,” 2014, Lead Editor: Walter H. Kay, MD, University of California at San Diego
- “PORT IN A STORM: How to Choose a Treatment Team for a Loved One with an Eating Disorder in the U.S.,” 2014, Lead Editor: Walter H. Kay, MD, University of California at San Diego
Other Document Collaborations:
“Facts and Concerns About School-Based BMI Screening, Surveillance and Reporting”, 2014 A joint initiative between F.E.A.S.T., BEDA, AED, STRIPED and the EDC, this was a new support document for a “Dear Colleague” letter sent to the US Center for Disease Control (CDC).
2014 Statement of Activity Report
|Net Assets at the Beginning of the Year|| $66,915.45|
|Net Assets at the End of the Year|| $62,016.67|
|2014 Change in Net Assets||-$4,898.78 |
| Fund Drive Donations (November – December 2014)||$30,609.39|
| Other Donations and Miscellaneous Revenue|| $ 6,895.88|
| 2014 Total Support & Revenue||$37,505.27 |
|Fixed Operational & Program Expenses|| $15,290.38|
|Variable & One-Time Expenses|| $16,074.94|
|Special Event Expenses (2015 Dallas Conference)*||$11,038.73|
|2014 Total Expenses||$42,404.05 |
*Reflects 2014 Expenses related to 2015 Dallas Conference. Total Conference Fund Balance (2014-2015): -$613.64
2014 Member Types:
New Members: 1,053
Total Members: 5,004
- Family Carers: 91.8%
- Non-Family Carers: 2.7%,
- E.D. Professionals: 3.6%
- Other: 1.9%
Board of Directors
|2014 Officers:||Professional Advisory Panel:|
|Chair, Leslie Feder, USA (2009)||June Alexander|
|Vice-Chair, Sarah Krevans, USA (2009)||Carrie Arnold|
|Executive Director, Leah Dean, USA (2013)||Judith Banker, MA, LLP, FAED|
|Outreach Director, Lisa LaBorde, Canada (2013)||Cynthia M. Bulik, PhD, FAED|
|Secretary, Jennifer Whisman, USA (2009)||Belinda Dalton|
|Finance Chair, Leslie Feder, USA (2009)||Cris Haltom, Ph.D.|
|Joy Jacobs, J.D., Ph.D.|
|2014 Directors:||Debra Katzman , MD, FRCP(C)|
|Founder, Laura Collins Lyster-Mensh, USA(2009)||Walter H. Kaye, M.D.|
|Bridget Bonnin, Australia (2009-2014)||Mary Beth Krohel|
|Fiona Bromelow, UK(2009)||Dr. Daniel Le Grange|
|Raye-Ann de Regnier, USA (2012)||Beth Mayer, LICSW|
|Becky Henry, USA (2011)||Stephanie B. Milstein, Ph.D.|
|Mary Matthews, USA (2012)||Rebecka Peebles, MD|
|Jacques Neher, France/USA (2009)||Sarah K. Ravin, Ph.D.|
|Rachel Polonsky, UK (2011)||Julie O’Toole, MD, MPH|
|Nicki Wilson, New Zealand (2013)||Susan Ringwood|
|Colleen Wise, USA (2013)||Tomas J. Silber, M.D. , M.A.S.S.|
|InMemoriam: Charlotte Bevan, UK (2013-2014)||Janet Treasure, PhD FRCP FRCPsych|
|Andrew Wallis BSW, MFamTher|
|Thank you to our past Board Members:||Mark Warren, MD, MPH, FAED|
|Axa Carnes, USA, (2009-2010)||Therese Waterhous, PhD, RD, LD|
|Carolin Gray,Australia (2009-2012)||Kitty Westin, M.A., L.P.|
|Denise Clancy, USA (2011-2013)|
|JoAnne Terry, 2009-2010||A Special Thank You to all of our:|
|June Alexander, Australia (2011-2013)||Forum Moderators|
|Lydia Spottswood, 2009-2010||Local Task Force Members|
|Sandy Skalski, USA (2009-2012)||Social Media Volunteers|
|Therese Waterhous, USA (2009-2010)||All Other Volunteers|